Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Sidetrip to London, England - New Year's Eve of 2007

 
The Big Ben, London, England
LONDON, England - On my way back to Trinidad & Tobago from a month vacation in the Philippines in December 2007, I stopped over in London for 3 days and 2 nights. But before coming to London, I also stayed in Singapore for 2 days and met my college friends.

I was excited to go to London because aside from going to New York and Washington D.C., London was my other dream city to visit. We passed by London on our first trip to Trinidad but we did not have a chance to go out of the airport.

I left my luggage at the Heathrow International airport (www.heathrowairport.com) and just brought the things that I'm going to use. I then took the train from Heathrow airport to central London then move to another subway line to go to Swiss Cottage station where my hostel - Palmers Lodge (www.palmerslodges.com)  is located. At first, I was confused on how to buy the subway ticket because its quite complex until a British guy noticed my confusion and assisted me. He was actually the husband of a Filipina and he said they are also going on the same direction with me. They got off the train earlier than me. I then continued and reached my hostel and checked-in. We were 16 in the room, majority are Europeans but I also noticed some Asians aside from me.

Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace
London, United Kingdom
On the second day (December 31), I went to the city to take bus tour. I cannot remember the exact amount I paid but I think it was around GBP 20 (USD 40 on that time). It was quite expensive for me but who cares. This was the only chance I had during that time so I still took the city tour. This was also the first time I experienced that my credit card was charged at the bus station without any wire connection. I went to Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, London Bridge, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, The Big Ben and others which I only see in movies and pictures.

I met several Filipinos while taking pictures at the Buckingham Palace. One of them said that she works in Cyprus as domestic helper but her boss brought her to London with them for vacation. I also met several more group of Filipinos at the Picadilly subway station where I took pictures with them. It was nice meeting my countrymen (kababayan), especially in big cities like London, and they seemed very nice to me that we were group-hugging in the pictures even we just met there. I was wondering what to do on New Year's eve but I've learned, while taking the subway back to my hostel, that the subway will be free of charge on that night. 

Westminster Palace, London, England
I took the subway and went to London Eye to watch the New Year's count down. It was drizzling on that night. I was surprised after the count down that people started kissing each other. Since I don't have any partner to kiss, I just watch them while hugging and kissing. It was a very good experience.

On the third day, I woke up early in the morning to catch my 9:00 am flight. I checked-out at the hotel at 5:00 am and took the subway to the airport. It was an amazing experience for me.

Keep on following my travel blogs. Also, for all your travel needs (airfare, hotel, cruise package, holiday packages, car rental and more), please visit wow amazing holiday website.

No comments: