Monday, December 3, 2007

Sidetrip to New York City, USA - world's greatest city

 
Times Square, New York
NEW YORK CITY, United States of America - It was on my way back to the Philippines from Trinidad on a month-long vacation when I passed by New York city in December 2007. My route was Trinidad to New York where I stayed for 2 days and 1 night, then I went to Seoul, South Korea for another 3 days and 2 nights.

It was quite a challenge before I took my month-long vacation because I needed to apply for both US and Korean visas. Based on discussions with fellow Filipinos, there were several disapproved applicants for US visa. I was thankful that mine was approved, although the officer had only given me 1 year multiple entry visa.

The Korean visa was another story because I need to take it from Venezuela. The visa officer advised me to either go to the embassy in Caracas and I can get it within the day or I send my passport and application forms via courier which will take about a week. I sent my passport and documents via express courier. However, the passport did not get back to me on time due to delay so I almost missed my flight to New York. Thanks to the people in the courier service company because they were willing to help me even in the middle of the night. I got my passport 1 hour before my flight at 12 midnight. 

Steet in New York, with Empire State Building in the middle
I board American Airlines (www.aa.com) flight to New York. The security was quite strict in Port of Spain as we all need to open our luggages for inspection.

I was very excited on this flight because New York city has been described by several publications as the greatest city in the world. Indeed, New York is one of the greatest. Why is it considered the greatest? Based on an article at ESL Teachers Board these are the reasons:

It is the most densely populated city in North America. It is home to the United Nations. The city is unique and is one of the most exciting places on earth. It is often referred to as the city that never sleeps. There is always something to do in New York City. But it is New Yorkers who make the city what it is. And that includes everybody, the original Italian and Jewish immigrants, aspiring actors, angry taxi drivers, people who love New York and even people who hate New York.

Times Square at Night
There is fascinating architecture to see in New York City. There is fascinating history to learn about. If one wants to visit museums one can go to the Metropolitan Museum of Fine Art, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the Cooper-Hewitt National Museum of Design, the Jewish Museum, the International Center of Photography, the Museum of The City of New York, El Museo de Barico, the Goethe House and the National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts all located on what is known as museum mile. All of these museums are located on 5th Avenue in between 82 and 105 streets. There are plenty others also all over the city. To read more about what you can do in New York, check out ESL Teachers Board.

Madison Square Garden
It was also in New York City where I experienced the first heavy snow. I learned from the news on the day I came that there will be a snow storm coming at night. When I woke up in the morning, I saw that the surrounding was very white and I was every excited to go out. I walked on the snow until I reached Times Square. On the wasy to Times Square, I needed to buy bonnet and scarf for more protection from cold weather. The scarf I bought was nice and it was made in Scotland. Until now, I still have that scarf with me. I still cherish the memories I had in the US especially now that it is far away from where I am based.

Keep on following my travel blogs. Also, for all your travel needs (airfare, hotel, cruise package, holiday packages, car rental and more), please visit wow amazing holiday website.

No comments: